(ARCHIVIST NOTE: This copy is directly from digital records supplied by the Bonnewitz estate and the blank pages are as found.)
TO MY HUSBAND
ARTHUR L. BONNEWITZ
WHO ENCOURAGED ME TO RESEARCH AND RECORD
THE HISTORY OF OUR COMMUNITY
In Brooking Township. First edition, December, 1966
Second edition, , 1988
In 1966, as a newcomer, twenty-four years as a resident , to the Raytown community, the writer was consumed with curiosity concerning the history of her adopted city, could find few stories concerning this area. She began to look for material.
At that time, 1966, the compilation was an endeavor to compress five years of research and the contents of three thick notebooks into several hundred pages of recorded stories and the piecing together of other facts. It was evident that a great deal more work would have to be done to correct and validate these facts. It was hoped that others would be inspired to begin the recording of more recent events and family ties.
Now, in 1988, an effort is being made to update and add materials gathered in that twenty-two year interval. It
is gratifying to observe some progress that has been made.
In the spring of 1965, six Raytown ladies met and decided that an effort should be made to find a manner in which Raytown history could be preserved. On March 23, 1966, The Raytown Historical Society, under the sponsorship of the Raytown Chamber of Commerce, was organized. Today this organization has a building at 9705 East Sixty-third street
to house its archives and a museum.
In 1975, Lois T. Allen and Roberta L.Bonnewitz, wrote Raytown Remembers, The Story of a Santa Fe Town. Two
thousands copies of this book have been printed by the Raytown Historical Society and used by many local groups for local history.
In 1966, the writer was certain that the beginning of Raytown as a village or hamlet had not yet received a proper date and facts had yet to be uncovered. She felt there must be some definite reason for the corner of the present 63rd and Raytown road to have caused some party to place a blacksmith shop there by 1849.
Now we feel that Jackson County Court Records substantiate that a blacksmith, William Ray, was the person for whom Raytown was named. The question of why a blacksmith shop was located here remains unresolved.
Again it is with deep gratitude to those in the past who generously spent their time in recording the stories of the early residents and to those of the present time who were so cooperative in giving information concerning their families, it is hoped that in some manner this book will continue to assist readers in learning more about our community and its former citizens.
From 5801 High Drive, Shawnee Mission, Kansas, September 12, 1964: “Offhand, I can think of no valid objection to your using information in the Vital Historical Records
(Vital Historical Records, Jackson County, Missouri, 1826-1876, The Kansas City Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution: Kansas City, Missouri, Lowell Press, 1933-1934)….Your project sounds very worth while, as there is quite a bit of history encompassed in your territory which should be preserved for future generations.”
Loraine Shields Page
(Mrs. Ben Page)
The following, bearing date of March 16, 1872, is from the pen of one of Jackson County’s solid and most respectful citizens:
“Brooking Township – This is the name of a new township formed out of a territory heretofore included in Blue and Washington townships. It is in the center of Jackson County, and embraces a large portion of Jackson County’s finest lands. It is good farming country, having good land, good water and good timber, three qualities not often found near each other.”
“There are, perhaps, more good springs of water in this township than any other of the same size in the state. Many of our farmers have not had to drive their stock off their farms to get water for the last twenty-five years.”
“We have post-offices, Raytown and Little Blue, and an industrious, civil community, erecting school-houses and churches to beautify and adorn the ennobling virtues of civilized society.”
“We have given the name ‘Brooking’ to our township in respect to the memory of the late Hon. Alvin Brooking, who, in his long and faithful public life, was true not only to the finances but to the great interest of Jackson County. And, sir, may our new township prove worthy to perpetuate the name and memory of so true and good a man.”
J. H. Robinson
IN BROOKING TOWNSHIP
Brooking Township can be defined as an irregular shaped area located in the eastern part of Kansas City and in Raytown, Missouri, Jackson County. Roughly bound on the north by 43rd street; on the east by Little Blue River, closely associated with Noland Road; to the south by 87th and 91st streets; on the west by Big Blue River. 59th street divides Townships 49 North and Townships 48 North; Topping Avenue divides Range 32 from Range 33.
These lines have been changed, as in 1966, the western boundary from Olive to Indiana; northern side varying from 55th to Raytown City limits; southern boundary in places to 99th. However, to be consistent, we have used the boundaries of the Consolidated District No. 2, Raytown School District, as our area of historical research.
In the development of the township it would be rewarding to discover where the line struck “Little Blue at Fristoe’s Fish Trap; thence up the said creek to the south of the Cedar Fork (eastern section) and Cummins Mill on the Big Blue.”
Jackson County was named for the seventh President of the United States, Andrew Jackson. Andrew Jackson was born in North Carolina March 5, 1767 and died near Nashville, Tennessee, June 8, 1845. Perhaps the large number of residents from Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee influenced this choice.
A number of events had taken place before Jackson County became a county. A brief review will be given.
In 1804 Congress had sent Captain Meriwether Lewis and William Clark on a trip up the Missouri River from St. Louis to the Pacific.
“They selected a force of about forty, young, strong healthy men and swore them into service of the United States army. On the 14th day of May A.D. 1804, they set out from St. Louis to cross the continent. They had a boat 55 feet long rowed by 22 oars. It was so made, that by raising the sides built in the center, it could be made into a kind of stockade for protection in case of an attack from the Indians.
The party started from what is known as the mouth of Wood River, a small stream that empties into the Mississippi River. Captain Lewis followed his instructions to the letter and kept a diary of every day’s trails, together with a report of what he saw. On the 23rd day of June, we find the following: ‘The winds were against us this morning and became so violent that we made only three and one-half miles and were obliged to lie during the day at the channel which can not be passed by boats, being choked by trees and driftwood. Directly opposite of the mouth is a high commanding position, more than seventy feet above high water mark and overlooking the river, which is here of but little width. This spot has many advantages for a fort and trading with the Indians….
This is the spot where the government located Fort Clark, the name of which was afterward changed to Fort Osage, in the year A.D. 1808. When Fort Osage was built it was the furthest west of any military estab- lishment in North America.” 
On April 30, 1805, France deeded to the United States all the Louisiana Territory, including the mouth of the Mississippi River and New Orleans for $15,000,000.00. Then the mouth of the great river was opened for trading and expansion to the west.
On November 10, 1808 a treaty was made with the members of the Great and Little Osage Indian tribes. This treaty was to encourage peace, friendship and trade with the Indian tribes. A fort was to be built as a trading post and as a protection from other warring tribes. The Indians were to have merchandise in return for the furs they had for sale. Each year the Great Osage Nation would receive Eight
Hundred Dollars, the Little Osage Nation a sum of Four Hundred Dollars, and merchandise to the amount of Five Hundred Dollars.
This treaty did not include the western part of Jackson County. The Indians thought the payment each year was for permitting the white man to cross Indian territory. The difference in opinions of the Indians and white people led to many disagreements and raids.
The 1812 Congress created the Territory of Missouri. From 1812 to 1815, Indians, supported by the British, fought many battles in this territory. In spite of the unrest, the white settlers were surging into Missouri. It is estimated about a hundred a day crossed the Mississippi River. Settlements were along the Missouri River to near Boonville.
In 1818 the citizens of Missouri were clamoring to be admitted as a state of the Union. Finally the Missouri Compromise Act, March 3, 1820, allowed them to organize. They were admitted on August 10, 1821.
The Treaty of 1825 removed further barriers to new settlements. On August 10, 1825 right of way over Indian lands were given for the sum of Eight Hundred Dollars.
Although not important in the history of Brooking Township or Raytown, the statement that Jackson County at one time covered more than its present boundaries led to interesting research to verify that statement. The difficulty of verification might be caused by many factors. The rapid emigration of white settlers after the Indian treaty did not give time for history to be recorded. Also, in reading of the naming of our counties the reader will find that the popularity of a well known person might be the reason for adopting his name, but downfall of the hero would call for a rapid renaming.
A visit to the Archives of the Native Sons, located in 1965 on the 26th floor of the Kansas City, City Hall, to study a collection of maps of George Fuller proved helpful.
“2 June, 1825, the Osages signed another treaty with the government, in St. Louis, whereby, they relinquished forever their title to all lands they still owned in the State. This extinguished their title to the western strip of country twenty-four miles wide, extending from Fort Osage south to the Arkansas line. 
Although unable to reproduce the original maps approximate
information can be shown on a current map.
(This needs to be on one page)
1820 Governors Map – Alexander McNair: shows area west of the Osage boundary to present Kansas state line was Jackson County for a short time.
1845 map – Neueste Karte, MISSOURI: shows Jackson County south to the grand River, including Cass and part of Bates County. Next county was St. Clair and a large portion called Barry County in the southwest corner.
In September, 1826 surveyors began surveying townships in the western part of Missouri. Dates for our immediate area were: Township 49, range 32, December, 1826; Township 49, range 33, December, 1826; Township 48, range 32, September 1843.
Township 48, range 32, is now the southern section of the city of Raytown. Long ago it was known as the “Lost Township.” In 1836 this area was a part of Washington Township.
“Early records show that a broad strip along but within the Township was known as the ‘Lost Township.’ This title seems to have been acquired through the medium of a surveyor (not identified by name), reported that he lost his notes “and anyway the tract was worthless being only prairie land.”
“This view was readily accepted by others for they were immigrants mainly from the forest covered states of Kentucky, Tennessee, and virginia and who believed only timber soil was fertile. Succeeding years proved only too clearly how the fertility of this treeless tract was misjudged. However there is another account for the same ‘Lost Colony ‘more plausible and equally well authenticated. That report as follows: The surveyor (the same as before and still unidentified) was running his lines from the far East near the head of the Sni. A Hardshell Baptist had a still operating near the head of this famous stream and whether the aroma was sufficiently strong to deflect the tripod of his instrument is not known but the whiff was
unquestionably strong enough to sway the surveyor toward its source. The proverbial hospitality of early day hosts coupled with equally convivial appetite of the guests made a perfect combination and ere long the worry over a township of land had so far wandered from his mind of said surveyor that he had not only lost his notes but also his hat. At this juncture a gaunt and hungry sow either in resentment of the white man invading her domain, as a punishment for his inebriation, or for pure hog-deviltry with not a very discriminating appetite, ate both notes and hat.” 
Further stories, without the above embellishments, surmised that the surveyor returned to Independence stating that some
strange magnetic force would not allow him to use his surveying equipment. Another report said a goat ate the notes. For whatever reasons the “Lost Township” was not surveyed for another seventeen years.
At the home of John Young, March 29th, 1827, David Todd, Esq., received his commission as Judge of the first Judicial Circuit Court.
The first county court was held May, 1827, near Mr. Ross’s spring, southeast of town (Independence)….and the first meeting of the court was held in a log house opposite the old foundry.
Tuesday, 22nd May A.D. 1827 the members of the county court met to define the boundaries of three townships. The members were Abraham McClelland, Richard Fristoe and Henry Burris. The townships were:
Fort Osage. Blue and Kaw.
The boundaries of these townships have undergone many changes and at this time they contain only a portion of that territory in 1827.
At that time Fort Osage contained its present territory, together with Sniabar and Van Buren townships, and the whole eastern portion of Cass and Bates counties.
Blue township contained what is now Blue, Brooking, Prairie, part of Washington, also more than half of Cass and Bates counties. Kaw township then contained its present dimensions, Westport and part of Washington.
Brooking township was organized March 13, 1872, after being a part of other townships.
September 3rd. 1827 brought an order for the first courthouse:
“ORDERED, that there be erected a temporary courthouse in the town of Independence. That the Superintendent of Public Buildings be directed to cause to be erected on the northwest corner of lot fifty-nine, in the town of Independence, a hewed log house thirty-six feet in the clear in width, a partition of hewn logs so as to leave a large room twenty-two by eighteen and the small eighteen by fourteen. One good story high, say nine feet between joists and the floor, roof to be rafters and three foot boards, with a brick chimney built so as to have a fire-place in each room. The foundations of the house to be laid on stone pillars with a sufficient number of doors and windows, say one door in the large room and one through the partition, cracks chinked with seasoned short chinking and points outside and inside with lime mortar, with two twelve light windows in the large room and one in the small room, the door shutters to be what is commonly called batton and of walnut plank well seasoned, planed and neatly and strongly made. The door casing and window casing all to be of seasoned walnut plank and window shutters to each window. And the Superintendent is authorized to supply any deficiency in the plan so as to make the building complete and fit for use, and to make any alteration which may tend to lessen the expense of the county. This court also orders that the sum of one hundred and seventy-five dollars be appropriated to pay for the said building out of any money in the treasury from the sale of lots in the town of Independence.” 
Daniel P. Lewis was given the contract for the construction of the courthouse for $150.00.
“The first jail was built in the year 1827, and was constructed of hewn logs of ten to twelve inches in diameter. The building was something over sixteen feet square and about fifteen feet high, with two rooms or apartments, one above, called the debtors room, and the lower room, dungeon, for criminals. The floor was of the same kind of hewn logs, and firmly fastened together. Very little light came through the small grated window to the criminal in the dungeon. Staples with rings attached were driven into the logs for the purpose of fastening the shackles of desperate men. A stairway on the outside to the upper room was the only way of entering the jail. When within the debtors’ apartment the lower room was reached by means of a trap door, through which all the prisoners must come to leave the dungeon. The history of this old jail is very interesting. The prisoners confined there, the escapes of noted desperadoes, the sheriffs and deputies who had them in charge, from an eventful period in the early history of Jackson County.”
Lots in Independence were sold on july 9, 10, 11,1827. Among the purchasers were names mentioned as Brooking Township owners. This fact causes one to wonder if these owners bought Brooking farms for speculation and lived in Independence or lived in Brooking and bought Independence lots for speculation.
Names of buyers were:
Lot No. 4 & 7, John Cornett, $10.00 each, James Kimzey, security
Lot No. 78, James Kimsey, &10; Jesse Butler, security
Lot No. 18 Smallwood V. Noland, $25; Eli Glascock, sec.
Lot No. 94 S.V. Noland, $15/15; G. Johnston, sec.
Lot No. 71 Eli Roberts, $10; James Kimzey, sec.
Lot No. 103 Cicero Brown, $10; Gan Johnston, sec.
Lot No. 72 James Kimzey, $27; Samuel Kimzey, sec.
Lot No. 70 Rowland Flournoy, $12; S.G. Flournoy, sec.
Lot No. 69 Lawrence Flournoy, $10; S. Flournoy, sec.
Since Brooking residents were hesitant to leave stories of their life, we will need to find other sources to help us to reconstruct the life they may have lived.
We can visit Fort Osage and see the home of the first white settlers in this part of the county. We know that a six-mile area was used by the soldiers, stationed at the fort, to graze their stock. Often there were Indian camps outside the stockade walls. Within this area the Six-mile Baptist church was organized in 1825. An early-day school was taught by George S. Parks.
Dates of settling the village differ with sources. It would be difficult to determine just when a group of homes became a settlement.
“Settlements were made at Independence, then Westport,
then Lone Jack, then Blue Springs, then Kansas City, and many other points, such as new Santa Fe, Hiskman’s
Mills, Stony Point, Wayne City, Oak Grove, Pink Hill, Greenwood, Lee’s Summit, Raytown, Buckner, and others.
“The early settlers were all in or near timber or some spring of water, the settlers thinking the prairie land
not only difficult to be subdued, but actually worthless
as far as agricultural purposes were concerned. When they first commenced breaking the prairie they used the ‘bar shear plow’, to which they attached from four
to eight yoke of oxen. (1)
“The first settlements of the county were invariably made in the timber or contiguous thereto. The early settler so chose both (timber and prairie) as a matter of necessity and convenience. The presence of timber aided materially in bringing about an early settlement, and it aided in two ways; first, the county had to depend on emigration from the older settled of the East for its population, and especially Kentucky and Tennessee. These states were almost covered with dense forests, and farms were made by clearing off certain portions of the timber … the pioneers were in main, descendants of the hardy backwoodsmen when it was a new country. When farms were opened in that country a large belt of timber was invariably reserved from which the farmer could draw his supply of logs for lumber and fence rails for fencing and cooking purposes.” (2) 1-2 from Hickman 1920 Jackson County History, pp. 92-100
William Lane (Sec 30-T 49-Rg 32): “In 1839 his family came to Jackson County in an ox cart….The father settled in a log cabin belonging to Reuben Mockbee, entered 80 acres of government land…This land was covered with a heavy growth of timber, proved to be a tremendous job to clear it of the timber and break the ground for planting after burning the
undergroth and stumps…William Lane rolled walnut logs, split them into rails and burned timber which at that time was useless, today (1920) would bring $75 -$100 each.
Lynchburg Adams, who settled near Fort Osage, March 3, 1820: The land along the banks of the Missouri River was
a wilderness of forest, valley and plain. Indians camped along the streams..Jackson County was a great hunting ground. It was a hunter’s paradise….In helping neighbors, 1821, to gather corn, his wages were three pecks of corn daily…The nearest grist mill was in Carroll County and he traveled there to get his corn ground…Deer was plentiful in the woods and they saw hers of as many as 300 deer. Bee tress were plentiful and all that was necessary was to cut the tree down and gather the n honey.. The wax could be sold for 25 cents per pound.. Ammunition was scarce and a turkey was never shot unless the hunter desired a change in diet of venison.
This story was published in the Lee’s Summit Journal, January 17, 1929 , written by Miss Dolly Brietenbaugh:
“In 1838, the Talleys had a four-foot fireplace in which they could bake a half-bushel of potatoes at one time. Children ate a pot of whole wheat boiled, called “Fermenty” with cream, brown sugar, sorghum, or watermelon ,o;asses, made from the juice of watermelon boiled down. Pop corn was popped by the bushel in a four-foot handled skillet with legs and lid. Fruits were dried by the bushels. Pumpkins were cut into rings, peeled and hung on a stick to dry. Later the rings were boiled until tended and browned in hot fat for breakfast.
“Each boy had one pair of shoes to put on Christmas morning. They often ran barefooted in snow four inches deep.
“In summer boys from five to nine wore long unbleached muslin gowns, for suits in winter they wore woolen jeans and linsey that mother wove. Nearly all shirts were hickory blue and white, heavy cloth.
“C.H. Talley learned to break hemp. The wooden machine was arranged to crush stalks, like fingers interlaced, when the shoals or center would fall out in pieces, leaving the lint strings, which were twisted in the middle like cord and baled for the lexington market. Mr. Talley was proud of the knots he made.”
The Talley farm was south and near the present day Truman
*** A hemp race is mentioned in the road change, probably near 63rd & Woodson.
When Talley’s returned from Saline County after Lincoln’s death there was not a house south of Dr. Lea’s house and the Missouri Pacific started from St. Louis.
SANTA FE TRAIL
STORIES OF THE SANTA FE TRAIL
Many men traveled the old trails and have told their adventures. Their descendants often scoff at these as though they were adventures of imagination. The tales will be related with no comment.
” GREENVILLE HULSE, farmer and real estate dealer, Oak Grove, Mo., is a native of Jackson County.  “The lure of the great plains drew Greenville Hulse during his younger days,and he became a plains freighter, making trips to the far west in 1863, 1864, 1865, and 1866. His first trip took him to Denver, Colo., in the employ of A. and P. Byrum, the wagon master of the train being John S. Renick. In 1864 he made a trip to Salt Lake City with William Livesay, having spent the previous winter herding cattle on the Arkansas River. After spending the winter on the Arkansas River, near Pueblo, Colo., he returned to Atchison, Kans., and the train was outfitted there. When they arrived at Plumb Creek, on the Platte River, they learned that Indians had captured a train of nine wagons. This caused he and his companions to redouble their vigilance to guard against a surprise attack from the Indians, and they never relaxed their vigilance night or day, during the remainder of the trip. During 1865, Mr. Hulse freighted to Denver, Julesburg, and other points in Colorado. In 1866, he became part of an outfit on Smoky River, which was hauling supplies to the government forts. On the Crazy Woman’s Fork on Powder River, Indians stampeded a train of government mules and killed many soldiers. This trouble due to the negligence and arrogance of an army lieutenant in command of the soldiers. Nine Indians subsequently followed the train which, with which Mr. Hulse was connected, as far as Fort Laramie, but did not offer to molest them, riding in on a flag of truce.”
“The year 1866 saw the end of Mr. Hulse’s freighting days and he settled down to farming and stock raising….he accumulated over 1,000 acres….40 acres of which is located near Raytown, in Brooking township….” 
“HENRY C. BROOKING was born in Scott county, Kentucky, April 24, 1832, and at the time of their removal to Missouri, he was six years old… In this county he remained until 1849. That year he was the victim of the gold ‘Fever’, which originated in California and spread to the most remote parts of the civilized world. The only cure for the disease was a trip to the Pacific coast. This journey he undertook and accomplished after long and tedious travel and many discouragements, including an encounter with the Cheyenne Indians, numbering about eight hundred warriors, who held them at bay about twenty-four hours. Mr. Brooking and his party lost their oxen and all their goods by reason of the early snows in the Sierra Nevada mountains; and when he finally did reach his destination, the Lassen ranch, November 18, 1849, he was on foot and with no worldly goods save his rifle and his blanket. He commenced his mining experiences on Feather river, and for five years he tolled in the mines, with the usual luck of the miner, and at the end of that time started homeward, June 1854, found him back at the old home place in Jackson county, and where he followed farming until the outbreak of the civil war.” 
“GEORGE W. CASSELL, was born in Kentucky, May 24, 1837, and at the time of their emigration to this state, was ten years of age, and on his father’s farm in this county he was reared. (Father, David Cassel) About the time he emerged from his ‘teens’ the business of freighting across the plains was the one that attracted his attention. In the year of 1956 he made his first trip as a teamster in a freight train to New Mexico, and the fall of that year on another freighting expedition, this time to Fort Laramie, and in the employ of Henry Chiles. The next spring he drove a team for Tom Ackerman to Santa Fe, New Mexico, and in the fall of the same year made a similar trip to Albuquerque. When the war opened he enlisted in the Missouri troops. C.S.A….After the close of his army life he resumed his former occupation, that of freighting, and in charge of a train to Fort Union. That was in 1865. He spent the winter on Red river, returned in the following spring, and in 1866 went to Albuquerque. While in New Mexico he had an attack of mountain fever and at once came home. The next year, 1867, he settled on his present farm, seventy acres, in section 4, of Brooking township, and here has ever since devoted his energies to agricultural pursuits.” 
JOHN T. HOUSE, July 1, 1865, he arrived home sick with rheumatism and neuralgia contracted in the South. (Civil War) When he recovered he hired out with a transport to take a quartz mill to a mining camp in Colorado. He remained in the mining region two years, and returned to settle down to a peaceful pursuit of agriculture.” 
BENJAMIN LACEY RICE – “He is the oldest of his father’s (James) family and was born in Caswell county, North Carolina, April 6, 1822. Until he was fifteen years of age he remained a member of the family circle. Then he started out in life on his own responsibility, choosing the occupation of peddler, and as much traveling through the southern part of north Carolina, and into South Carolina and Georgia. In the spring of the following year he came to Missouri with his father and family helping them in their removal, as they were then very poor. Arrived here he was variously employed until the next year. Freighting was then a profitable business, and to this he soon turned his attention. In July, 1846, he started from Owning’s Landing, near Independence, en route for New Mexico and Mexico, having in charge a mule train and freighting wagon, and going with a man by the name of Jim Mcgoffin. On the trip they met with Colonel Doniphan’s regiment returning from the Mexican War. It was not until the following year that Rice accomplished the return trip from Mexico, and soon after reaching home was taken sick. His illness lasted until Christmas of that year, 1847….”
“Of Mr. Rice’s freighting experiences, we would speak further. In 1854 he made a trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico, as freighter and wagon master for Mr. Samuel McKinney, the round trip made for Messrs. Bryant and Long, and on it they were escorted by soldiers. Mr. Rice was the first man to unload freight at Camp Floyd. In Utah he sold the oxen, and made the return trip with mules. His next freighting expedition was made in 1860, and to Fort Union, New Mexico.
Again he was corralled by the redmen, and again made good his escape.” 
T. W. GREENE – “In 1862 he took a trip across the plains to Mexico and remained there one season, and in 1865 went to Colorado.” This may be the Mr. Greene, who with a companion, walked back the Santa Fe trail to save the $100 he had earned and did not want to spend that for transportation home. 
JOHN S. MUIR – “About the time he reached his majority the gold discovery spread like wild fire throughout even the most remote parts of the world, the result being a rush of gold-seekers to the Pacific coast. Swarms of people made the long and tedious journey across the plains, others went by way of the Panama, while others rounded the Horn. Among the first was John S. Muir. He traveled in an ox train of which Mr. Amazon Hays, now of Westport, Missouri, was wagon-master, and they were four months and eight days in accomplishing the journey to Weaverville, California.” 
THOMAS G. CLARKSON – “April, 1847 – Santa Fe travelers leaving western Missouri around the end of the month included James C. Bean, Thomas G. Clarkson, and “Reynolds” (all of Jackson County, Missouri) and others….Bean’s partner heard that 1,000 Indians had attacked traders on the Arkansas (River), compelling them to corral for three days, but “Christopher” wrote (after reaching Santa Fe) that at Coon Creek: ‘We awoke one morning and found ourselves surrounded by near 700 well-mounted warriors (Arapahoes and Commanches) with more than 400 formidable weapons called lances; and we were only thirty fighting men strong….we owe our lives to Capt. Thomas G. Clarkson….whose knowledge of the Indian character caused him to turn the first scoundrels that came to us into the corral formed by our wagons, and disarmed them….(One attempted to escape and was shot down.) On the next day we wounded several others, and fought them every day for about 70 miles…. there was little sleeping done in our camp from Pawnee Fork to the crossing of Big Arkansas; here the Indians left us….(But)..In the Jornada….we met with…(270) renegade Mexicans (and had to be on the defensive against them)….We arrived at Santa Fe on the 25th of June, after a trip of 58 days from Independence, losing 51 head of oxen, stolen…on Coon Creek, and some 20 were lost for want of grass (in Mexico). 
May 1848 – From Council Grove, “H’ wrote, on the 12th: ‘The road from this place (east) to Independence is almost one continued encampment of Santa Fe and Chihuahua traders: McKnight, Mayers, Hall, Slaughter, Bean, Reynolds, Clarkson, Coons and many others in all about 200 wagons, heavily freighted with merchandise of every description are scattered all along the road from here to the State line,
besides at least 100 wagons that have already passed on. The amount of goods taken out this year will far exceed the exports of any preceding year. 
May 7, 1853 – The Occidental Messenger, an Independence, Missouri, newspaper, published an estimate of the livestock owned by citizens of Jackson County, Missouri alone that would be driven across the plains, among them :
Thomas G. Clarkson– 400 cattle –22 wagons–15 other animals–35 persons 
SCHOOLS – OLD AND NEW
SCHOOL MARMS AND PROFESSORS
From IN BROOKING TOWNSHIP, Bonnewitz, Roberta and Arthur, Raytown, Missouri, 1966, pp. 95-
1606 – The fleet fell from London to find a safe port” along the coast of Virginia. So ended a four month and six day trip from England to Virginia by a group of people, including 108 gentlemen. The others must have been the workers, women and children who built Jamestown.
1609 – Mayflower passengers, 102 of them, landed at “Plimouth Plantation, December 21. About one-half of these survived the first winter. Only 41 of those left England for religious freedom, the others were tailors, weavers, printers, wool carders, shopkeepers, blacksmiths, sawyers, coopers, and soldiers.
1712 – Etienne V. De Bourgmont, a French explorer, lived with the Missouri Indian tribe north of the Missouri river. He was friendly with the Kaw tribe, who lived a few miles north of Kansas City, Missouri.
1745 – It is believed the French established Fort Cavagnolle, also the site of a Konza village, perhaps site of Kansas City, Missouri.
1776 – Declaration of Independence drafted, formally signed August 2 by 55 members.
1783 – March 23, United States recognized by Spain.
1787 – September 17, Boone family came to Missouri
1793 – September 17, corner stone laid by President Washington for Capitol building
1800 – Louis Bartholet settled at the mouth of Kaw river
1803 – April 30, Louisiana Purchase of 875,000 square miles of land west of the Mississippi river for $15,000,000
1804 – Lewis and Clark began trip up the Missouri river
1808 – Fort Osage founded by General William Clark and Major George Sibley
1812 – February 7, severe earthquake at New Madrid, Missouri caused land to sink 5 to 6 feet, quake continued for 3 months
1818 – Clay county settled
– “Western Engineer”, first steamer to come up Missouri river, looked like a sea serpent, made to frighten the Indians. Other articles dispute this date and say 1831.
– “the goods of Mr. A.P. Choteau are transported by water in keelboats as high as the Osage river as the water will admit, from thence they are carried in wagons to his establishment in the interior of the country. In the spring when the Arkansaw is high Mr. Choteau sends his furs down that river to New Orleans from whence they are shipped to New York.”
1821 – Capt. William Becknell took first wagon train to Santa Fe. (Hickman, W.Z., HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI, p. 111) – “THe first two years (1822-23) all the goods were transported on pack animals. The year 1824 seems to be the first year in which wagons were used.
– “The first freighters used horses and mules….but it was found that hard roads wore out their feet unless shod….first record of oxen being used was 1829….Major Riley of the regular army hauling government supplies…”
– Flourin’ Mill” at Smithville
1824 – James Bridger, famous scout, discovered Great Salt Lake. (He is buried in Mount Washington Cemetery.)
1825 – Osage Indian treaty ceded 24 mile strip on western side of state, a little west of Ft. Osage to the present state line.
– Alexander Majors came to Independence, March 1825. Later became one of the founders of the Pony Express.
1826 – Townships west to state line surveyed, except townships 49 and 48, the “Lost Township”. Surveyor deemed prairie land not profitable enough to bring into market and…that in attempting to run some lines through them he found the pressure of some magnet so influenced his compass as to make the survey impossible. (UNION HISTORICAL CO. p. 104)
1827 – Jackson county created – first court held in May near Mr. Ross’s spring southeast of town
– Original town site of Independence laid out containing 240 acres and 16 springs of pure water. Cost to lay out site was $72.80, including 7 gallons of whisky at 50 cents per gallon.
1828 – First public lands sold in Jackson County, November 11
1829 – (UNION HISTORICAL CO., p. 157) – John C McCoy- “Sometime during the summer of 1829, when I was in Fayette, Mo., a gentleman from Boonville approached our group and took something from his pocket, rubbed it on sole of his boot, an lo! a combustion fire. It was the friction match, a new invention, and a wonderful discovery of how to make a fire.”
1830 – KANSAS CITY STAR, September 21, 1961 –
Colonel Henry Washington Younger, settled in Jackson county, and married Miss Burshea Fristoe of Independence.They were the parents of fourteen children. The famous Youngers were four of these children: Cole James, John, and Robert, all born between 1844 and 1853.”
Brooking township maps indicate that Mr. Younger owned many tracts of land here.
– From SHAWNEE METHODIST SCHOOL pamphlet: “Shawnee Methodist Mission and Indian Manual Labor School was established near Turner, in Wyndotte county, by Rev. Thomas Johnson….To this school Indian children of many tribes were sent to learn English, manual arts and agriculture. At one time this mission included 2,000 acres and 16 buildings and an enrollment of nearly 200 Indian boys and girls.
During the Civil War the mission buildings were barracks for Union troops. The school was discontinued in 1862, acquired by the state in 1927.”
– Mormons had bought about 2,000 acres of land in the Independence area. Other settlers were beginning to fear and resent these people.
EARLY BROOKING TOWNSHIP LAND OWNERS
Boise, George T. 11-11-1828 Brock, Perry 12-17-1828 Burger, William 11-11-1828 Burris, David 11-11-1828
Butler, James 11-11-1828 Kimzey, James 11-11-1828
McClelland, Jas. W.11-11-1828 Shepherd, John 11-11-1828
Williams, Delaney 11-11-1828
Brock, Alfred 4-27-1829 Egen, Fredrick 7- 1829
Moore, John 9-21-1829 Williams, Ambrose 1- 8-1829
Blanton, Isaac 7-25-1831 Braden, Noland L. 8-22-1831
Johnston, Gan 7-26-1831 Kimsey, James 12-10-1831
Cummings, Richard 12-26-1832 Fugus, Wm. 11-11-1832
Pearson, Wm. 9-12-1832
Allen, Thomas 8-12-1833 Lively, Benjamin 12- 4-1833
Reed, David 11-30-1833
Barnes, Jesse 10-31-1834 Hamilton, James 2-11-1834
Kinzey, Sam’l 1-17-1834 McMurry, John 11-11-1834
Noland, Wm. W 1-25-1834 Smith, Daniel 1-10-1834
Stayton, David 5- 1-1834 Stayton, John 4-21-1834
Stayton, Moses 2-22-1834 Stayton, Thomas 12- 7-1834
Brown, John 6-23-1835 Chism, Thomas D. 11-18-1835
Ducker, William 11-25-1835 Quinn, Wm. 1835
Hicks, Russell 12-15-1835 Johnson, John 11-14-1835
Crenshaw, Wm. 12- 3-1836 Hix, Edwin F. 1- 1-1836
Kavanaugh, Chas. C. 1-24-1836 West, James 12-12-1836
Wilson, John 11-18-1836 Rice, Archibald 1- 2-1836
Bush, George W. 11-24-1837 Chambers, James 5- 2-1837
Cox, William 9- 4-1837 Dehoney, James 11- 2-1837
Kelly, Huram S. 5- 2-1837 Richards, Richard 8- 4-1837
Smith, Absolom 7- 7-1837 Johnson, Alex 8- 3-1839
Dyche, Edward C. 10-13-1840 Lynn, Warwick 5-11-1841
Clarkson, Thomas G.10-12-1842 Rhoades, Geo. W. 1839
1831 – Independence became headquarters for outfitting freighters on Santa Fe Trail
– Isaac McCoy surveyed Westport
– From Union Historical Co., HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI, (Kansas City, Mo., Birdsall, Williams & Co., 1881) p. 301: “The first grist mill in Jackson county was built in the southwest part of Blue township, in Sec. 29, Tp. 49, R. 32, about five miles from Independence. The mill was run for the purpose of accomodating farmers in the vicinity. James Kimsey was the builder and owner of the mill for several years.”
The horse-mill was built at Round Grove, near Rock Falls. It was washed away in 1833. Water from a water-spout, six feet deep, came in a flood against it. Mr. Kinsley and another man were in the mill, but escaped unhurt.”
“After this William Cox built another horse-mill south of this, on the place which has the honor to be the oldest settlement in the township. Johnson Kimsley states that his father settled the Cox farm in 1831, and that the first settlement east of Heart Grove, was made by William Pierson in 1831, Tp. 48, R. 32, was then known as the ‘condemned township’. Long after this it was surveyed and brought into market. George W. Rhoades, who as surveyor platted the town of Independence, lived here…. “
– “The first school house in the county was erected in Sec. 29, Tp. 49, R 32. This was a private enterprise built by subscription under authority of the school law of the state was at the same place. James Kimsey preached the first sermon in the county in the first school house above mentioned. The first distillery in this township. as also in Jackson county, was put on Sec. 29, Tp. 49, R. 32.”
– “The first orchard planted in Jackson county was planted on Sec. 29, Tp. 49, R. 32, among which was one chestnut tree. This orchard was in full bearing in the year of 1849, and contained four hundred large trees. At the present time there are a few of these old apple trees standing. The chestnut tree is now a large and flourishing tree. The above trees were planted by James Kimsey.”
1832 – Westport was an established trading post, site near the present northeast corner of Wesport road and Pennsylvania
– Watts Mill on Indian Creek
– Archibald Rice came to eastern part of the county from Monroe county, Missouri. Had moved from North Carolina to Howard county, Missouri in 1827
1833 – Daniel Yoacham’s tavern the first store in Westport
– June 21, first patent on McCormick reaper
1834 – There were 1,500 Mormons in Jackson County. Half of these were ordered to be out of the county by January 1834. They refused. In October fifty men went to a settlement on the Big Blue and destroyed ten houses and whipped the men. That night the Mormons attacked
Independence. By November an army, with Colonel Pitcher in command, arrested some of the Mormons. The Mormans went to Clay county.
1835 – William Cox and Jane (Irvin/Ervin) Cox came to Missouri in 1835, settled on a farm bought from Mrs. Kimsey, a widow. (Tombstone states that William Cox died before 1854, he came to Jackson county from Scott county, Va. (Lynch-Clinch river) in 1831. Pre-emption claim of William Cox states he settled on Sec 5, Tp 48, R 32 in 1834 or 1835.
1836 – Washington township was formed
– Battle of the Alamo – Texans used the mission as a fort during the war for Texan independence. Siege February 23-April 21
– Gold discovered at John A. Sutter mill, western territory
– June 23, U.S. Treasury had a surplus of $28 million and divided it among the states
-“John S. Muir and Lavinia Evans Muir, the later a great-granddaughter of Daniel Boone, moved from Clark county, Kentucky ‘and took up their abode four miles south of Independence’…”
-Eli House came to Jackson county. He was born in Kentucky and reared in Indiana. Married Irene West here in Jackson county.
1837 – A trader, Peter Roi, established a ferry across the river from Harlem (end of Main street, Kansas City)
-the A.G. Boone trading post built (500 Westport RD)
-first church in Independence, Pleasant Grove Baptist
-Dr. William W. Noland was one of the volunteers of 1837, who was called to subdue the Osage Indians
1837 – Archibald Rice, according to affidavits of two sons-in-law, settled upon Section 5, Tp 48, R. 32, in 1837, and with his wife and children has resided in a dwelling House that he has erected thereon….has erected three comfortable Log Cabins for his Negroes
1838 – Charter granted by Jackson County Court for the incorporation of “Town of Kansas”
-Alvin Brooking married his second wife, Frances Herndon, August 18, 1838….They came to Missouri in 1838 and spent one year in Clay county before coming to Jackson County
1838 – Jesse Barnes, in his pre-emption claims affidavits, states he has lived here since 1838 (Sec 9, Tp 48, R 32,
east and south of Cave Springs, along Blue Ridge Extension)
” he has a dwelling house and good outhouses.”
1839 – Briscoe Davis, in an affadavit, states that George W. Rhoades, settled on the northwest quarter of Sec. 4, Tp. 48, R 32 (northeast corner of 63rd and Raytown Rd.) and
with his wife and children have continued to reside in a dwelling….and has fifty acres enclosed and in cultivation.”
1839 – When Alvan Brooking came to Jackson county in 1839,
there were many bands of Indians then in Jackson county who often came to trade with the few white settlers.
-Spalding, C.C., ANNALS OF THE CITY OF KANSAS AND THE GREAT WESTERN PLAINS, (Kansas City: Van Horn & Abeel’s Printing House, 1850) pp. 19-20:
“In 1839, and 1840, the Indian tribes trading at Kansas City were the Delawares, Munsa, Stockbridges, Shawnees, Kansas (or Kaws), Kickapoos, Osages, Pottawatomies, Weas, and Peorias. In addition to articles already enumerated, these Indians bought of our traders, calicoes, blankets, very many saddles, bridles, and ribbons; and rings, costing ten cents in St. Louis, were frequently sold to these Indians for five or six dollars; and large profits were made on everything. As a general thing, the Indians paid cash for goods; but when they had no money they would freely pledge anything in their possession, such as ponies, silver armbands, ear ornament &C. Bacon was sold to them for thirty or forty cents per pound; and salt for fifteen and twenty cents per tin cup full. As early as 1840 it was not uncommon, on the arrival of the Mackinaw boats, to see as many as three to four hundred men on the levee at the same time, and all of them buying, more or less, from our traders.”
“Ponies, pelts, furs, trinkets, and annuity monies were received by our early traders in exchange for powder, lead, tobacco, sugar, coffee, candies, beads….”
1839 – Fielding Harrison Lane and his wife, Elizabeth (Larrimore) Lane, drove to Jackson County, in an ox-cart, accompanied by two horses and two bull-dogs, and Silas and
William Lane(b. in Madison county, Kentucky, January 26, 1839). Fielding settled in a log cabin belonging to Reuben Maraby (? Mockbee), entered 80 acres of government land and purchased another farm totaling 700 acres. This land at that time was covered with a heavy growth of timber.
– John Rankin Whitsett, in a six-horse covered wagon, came to this “wilderness’ in 1839. (Hickman Mills)
– Peter and Augustus Byram came to western Missouri from Kentucky. Later their name became famous when the Byram’s Ford was an important site during a Civil War battle
– Matthew Field, newspaper man, in describing his trip West:”….after half a day’s travel, the Jackson County farm home of Archibald Rice, whose wife, Sallie, cooked delicious meals for travelers.”
– A public school system was established in Missouri, slow to gain favor
1840 JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI, CENSUS
Compiled by Mrs. Hattie Poppino, 1956:
30 18 *Barnes, Jesse 4 agriculture
Males: 2B(5-10), 1C(10-15), 2D(15-20), 3E(20-30)
Female: 1E(20-30), 1G(40-50), Slaves: 4 males,
33 22 *Brookin Alvin, 6 agriculture
Males: 1B(5-10), 1C(10-15). 1D(15-20), 1E(20-30)
Females: 1B(5-10), 1C(10-15), 1D(15-20), 1F(70-80) Slaves: 4 males, 3 females
20 15 *Greene, Beal, 1 agriculture
Male: 1E(20-30), Female: 1D(15-20)
1 male slave (-5)
12 19 Kritzer, M. L. 1 commerce (Independence)
Males: 1A(-5), 2B(5-10), 1C(10-15), 1F(30-40)
Females: 2A(-5_, 1B(5-10), 1E(20-30)
30 22 Lane, F.H. 1 agriculture
Males: 2A(-5), 1E(20-30) Female: 1D(15-20)
10 11 *Muir, John 2 agriculture
Males: 1A(-5), 2B(5-10), 1D(15-20), 1G(40-50)
Females: 2A(-5), 1B(5-10), 1D(15-20), 1F(30-40)
Slaves: 2 males (-10), 1 female (10-24)
30 16 *Rice, Archibald 9 agriculture
Males: 1C(10-15), 1D(15-20), 1H(50-60)
Females: 2B(5-10), 2C(10-15), 1G(40-50)
20 slaves: 12 males, 8 females
36 3 *Rhoades, George W. 2 agriculture
Males: 2E(20-30) Females: 1A(-5), 1E(20-30)
1 female slave
1842 – Benjamin U. and Sidney (Blevins) Brown, from Virginia, settled in Jackson county (Swope addition)
– West Fork Baptist church organized
– General John C. Fremont left on an expedition from Westport
– Elijah White, heading the first immigrant train over the Oregon Trail, reached his destination. The next year hundreds of people followed the same trail.
– Earlier (Birdsall, Williams) quoted a story that the first school was in section 29….another story relates there was a school near Fort Osage in 1814. More about section 29 school (Round Grove), in speaking of the organization of this school says: “This organization was completed in 1842. The Hon. Alvin Brooking, John Muir, and Benjamin Thomson composed the first schoolboard and Jas. H. Thomas was the first teacher. The schoolhouse was built on
the southwest quarter of section 27, Tp. 49, R 32 (Apparently in the vicinity of the former Young;s Chapel, near 52nd and Blue Ridge).
1843 – Alfred and Harriet (Blevins) Cole settled where Raytown now is. The fall of 1842 they had moved from eastern Tennessee to Gasconade county, Missouri
Sturgis, J.A., HISTORY OF MC DONALD COUNTY, MISSOURI, 1897: “The Tennessee people often traveled in the old-fashioned linch-pin wagons, with the box shaped like a canoe, many with wooden spindles that would be heard for miles as they screaked over the rocky roads.”
– “Lost Township” surveyed during the summer
1844 – “about June 15 the floods abated” – flood takes a great toll of lives and property in Kansas City
– Zion Flannery entered a section of land about 6 miles north-east of Hickman Mills. A house was built about 1850
– William Muir entered land 4 1/2 miles 4 1/2 miles north-east of Hickman Mills in 1844. This is the forgotten
site of Union Point.
– Alfred and Harriet Cole moved to farm, section 25,
– Town of Wyandot established by Wyandot Indians
1845 – Highland Academy organized by Mr. Jefferson H. Johnson, of Hinde county, Mississippi, 6 1/2 miles north-east of Hickman Mills, near White Oak creek
– Bethlehem Church of Christ, Hickman Mills, organized
– In August, the first meeting of the West Fork Baptist church was held in its building. On the spot, as did the second brick building, did the home of Mr. George Jennings house stand. (Woodson Rd.) If a male member missed three meetings in succession the church clerk called his name and reported him.
– Winter of 1844-45 was mild and had very little snow
1846 – Spring – From PRAIRIE AND ROCKY MOUNTAIN LIFE; or the CALIFORNIA AND OREGON TRAIL, Francis Parkman (Columbus: J. Miller, 1857, pp 11-12:
“….on their way to the common rendezvous at Independence….On a rainy day, near sunset, we reached the landing of this place, which is situated some miles from the river, on the extreme frontier of Missouri. The scene was characteristic, for here are represented at one view the most remarkable features of this wild and enterprising region. On the muddy shore stood some thirty or forty dark slavish looking Spaniards, gazing stupidly out from beneath their broad hats. They were attached to one of the Santa Fe companies,whose wagons were crowded together on the banks above. In the midst of these, crouching over a smouldering fire, was a group of Indians, belonging to a remote Mexican tribe. One or two French hunters from the mountains, with their long hair and buckskin dresses, were looking at the boat; and seated on a log close at hand were three men, with rifles across their knees. The foremost of these, a tall, strong figure, with clear blue eyes and an
open, intelligent face, might very well represent that race of restless and intrepid pioneers whose axes and rifles have opened a path from the Alleghenies to the western prairie.”
“Early on the next morning we reached Kanzas….we set out in a wagon to Westport, where we hoped to procure wagons and horses for the journey.”
“It was remarkable fresh and beautiful May morning. The
rich and luxuriant woods through which the miserable road conducted us, were lighted by the bright sunshine and enlivened by a multitude of birds. We overtook…, the Kanzas Indians, who, adorned with all their finery were proceeding homeward at a round pace….”
“Westport was full of Indians whose shaggy little ponies were tied by dozens along the houses and fences. Sacs and Foxes, with shaved heads and painted faces, Shawnees and Delawares, fluttering with calico and turbans. Wyandots dressed like white men, and a few wretched Kanzas wrapped in old blankets, were strolling about on the streets, or lounging in and out of the shops and houses,..”
“….The emigrants….were encamped on the prairie about eight or ten miles distant, to the number of a thousand or more, and new parties were constantly passing out from Independence to join them. They were in great confusion, holding meetings, passing resolutions, and drawing up regulations, but unable to unite in the choice of leaders to conduct them across the prairie. Being at leisure one day, I rode over to Independence. The town was crowded. A multitude of shops had sprung up to furnish the emigrants and Santa Fe traders with necessaries for their journey; and there was an incessant hammering and banging from a dozen blacksmiths’ sheds, where the heavy wagons were being repaired and the horses and oxen shod. The streets were thronged with men, horses, and mules….”
Another good source: Lienhard, Heinrich, translated and edited by Erwin G. and Elisabeth K. Gudde, FROM ST. LOUIS TO SUTTER’S FORT. 1846 (Norman, Oklahoma, University of Oklahoma Press, 1961)
1846 – In July, 1846, Benjamin Rice started from Ownings Landing near Independence, en route for New Mexico and Mexico, having in charge a mule team and freighting wagon, and going with a man by the name of Jim McGoffin. On the trip they met Colonel Doniphan returning from the Mexican War. It was not until the following year that Mr. Rice was able to return from Mexico.”
– Season of 1846 had no excess of rains, not as much fever….in early part of summer had an epidemic of scarlet fever, and in the fall jaundice….
1847 – William (Uncle Buck) and Matilda Muir deeded land for the Christian Church on January 1847 (Hickman Mills )
– David Cassell and Mary Corn were married in Kentucky and lived there until her death in March 1847. The same year he and his children came to Missouri and settled in Jackson county, their location being in section 28, Tp 49, R 32, where they made their home until after the war.
– Thomas Dehoney came from Scott county, Kentucky in 1847. He purchased a home near Raytown for $520, original farm was 120 acres.
– Benjamin Rice’s illness lasted until Christmas, 1847.
1848 – Felix X Aubrey, striving to win $10,000 bet, raced from Santa Fe, New Mexico to Independence in 5 days and 16 hours
– Gold discovered in California
– Benjamin Lacey Rice and Jane Cock (Cox), daughter of William and Jane Cox, were married
– Winter of 1848-49 was remakably cold, with a great deal of snow, which melted partially in January and then froze suddenly, leaving a firm coat of ice three to five inches thick which stayed until late February. Trees of all kinds were stripped and broken.
– Blacksmith bills for services rendered by William Ray, blacksmith on Santa Fe road, were billed as May 17, 1848 to George W. Rhoades and April 13, 1848 to Archibald Rice
1849 – Spring of 1849 was wet and cold until April through
May, June, July….In April smallpox among the immigrants but did not spread much to the citizens. Diarrhea and other digestive diseases again came….some Asiatic cholera, a few cases…
– Charles H. Josselyn, enroute to California, stopped at the Rice farm to work over the wagons and fix ox tongue, and buy some corn for oxen….drove back one mile to smith shop….
– Archibald Rice died October 14, 1849, 67 years old
– Absolom Wray listed as an Independence councilman July 20, 1849
– Henry C. Brooking went to California seeking gold.
– Gillis Hotel established in Kansas City
– 40,000 emigrants went through Westport and 11,000 wagons outfitted
– Railroad from Wayne City to Independence did not help to draw trade back to Independence
1850 – A mail stage, the first United States stage, belonging to Waldo, Hall and Company left for Santa Fe, July 1, 1850
– February 10, William Ray and Ailsey Hocker were married by John A. Moore, Justice of the Peace of Washington Township
-July 2, Estate of George W. Rhoades filed. Heirs are his widow, Mary; children; Benjamin, Susan, George, Lucy, Mary, Elizabeth
– October 16, David W. and Lucinda Vance sold to William and Ailsey Ray, 7 acres of land for $72.16 1/2 cents
Sometime before November 23, 1850 George W. Rhoades had sold a 50×90 foot lot to Joseph C. Davis but had not given him a deed. This lot was bought by William Ray November 23.
– Alvin Brooking represented Jackson and Cass counties in the state legislature
– Census reports of Kansas City differ, some say 750, some say less
1850 JACKSON COUNTY, MISSOURI CENSUS
Combined with other material
505 – BARNES, SIDNEY S. 32-farmer-$4,000 KY
John-2-MO; JESSE -64-farmer-$12,000-KY; Martha-50-KY;
Caleb-24-farmer-KY; Thomas-21-clerk-KY; Benjamin-19-farmer-KY, also 4 slaves
Sidney Barnes m. Marion Noland, 6-15-1847
Clifton Barnes m. Eliza J. Caldwell, 1-6-1848
Moses Barnes m. Lucretia Snodgrass, 8-29-1850
572- BECKHAN, JAMES-42-cabinet maker-$1500-KY;
Eliza-42-KY; Anna E-16-KY; Mary E-15-KY; Catharine-11-Mo; Tibitha-8-MO; James -7-MO;
Dr. Minor T. Smith m. Mary Ellen Beckhan, 8-1851;
2nd m., Catherine Beckhan, 5-9-1858
538- BROOKING, ALVIN-54-farmer-$12,000-KY
Henry C-19-KY; Serena-17-female-KY; 12 slaves,
also Mr. Deboard-24-teacher-Va.
Serena Brooking m. Wm. DeBord, 10-17-1850;
she 2nd m. Logan Pendleton, 6-19-1862
Mary Levina Brooking m. John W. Campbell,
Robert Brooking m. Martha J. Courtney, 1847;
he 2nd m. Mary Ann Mickelborough, 1852
Henry Clay Brooking m. Elvira F. Laws, 1868
They had no children.
556- BROWN, BENJAMIN U- 30-farmer-$1000-TN-(d. 9-11-1883)
Sidney (Blevins)-27-TN (d. 9-27-1897);
Melvina-9-VA- (M. Cates, lived in Strasburg);
Louisa-7-MO (m. Samuel Calhoun); Mary-5-Mo (m. Joshua Cates); Isaac-3-MO; Harriet 1-MO (m. H.H. Cole, d. 1884); and Elizabeth Conrad-25
595 -CASTLE (CASSELL), DAVID-38-farmer-KY (came in 1844,
to Sec. 28, Tp 49, R 32)
Lucinda-43-KY; Lucy-16-KY (m. John Young, 12-9-1851)
Mary E.-14-KY; Sarah-13-KY; George-12-KY (May 24,1838-
June 25, 1909); James-10-KY; Joseph-9-KY; William-9-
KY; Theodore-6-KY; David-4-KY, also James McMillon-
16-farmer; Woodford-14-; Cyntha, also 6 slaves
(James, Woodford and Cyntha were his step-children)
558 -COLE, ALFRED-36-farmer-$2,000-TN (Mar 9, 1814-
Feb 9, 1854); Harriet (Blevins)-36-TN (June 1, 1814-
July 10, 1876); (Andrew) Jackson-14-TN (Feb 24, 1836-
Mar 15, 1860); Jesse-10-TN (Mar 5, 1850-Dec 29, 1915);
Elizabeth-8-MO; Celia A.-1-MO
547 -CORNET, POLLY FRANCIS-41-KY (in 1840 census with John
Cornet; in 1860 census with Chas A Patrick)
Elizabeth-21-TN; Frances-20-MO; Darthula-14-MO;
518 -DAVENPORT, STEPHEN-48-farmer-$1600-KY;
Susan-46-KY; Josiah-farmer-21-KY; Amanda-19-KY;
James-16-KY; Sidney-11-MO; George-8-MO; Elizabeth-
5-Mo, also 5 slaves
547 -DAVIS, JOHN-farmer-$3500-NC;
Sally-67-TN; Briscoe-38-farmer-$3,000-KY; Jane-21-Mo;
also Polly Cornet and Smith Crabtree-16-farmer-VA
714 -DEHONEY, THOMAS-68-farmer-VA;
Wileria-28-f-KY; Martitia-25-f-KY; Leander-23-KY;
Marcellus-m-18-KY; David-16-KY; Martha-13-KY;
also 3 slaves
West Fork Cemetery, NE 1/4, S 3, T 48, R 32:
Thomas Dehoney, b. 1784-Mar 31, 1853
Martilia, dau.,Sep 8, 1824-June 20, 1851…
Thomas Dehoney m. Harriet Gatewood, 2-12-1819
517 -FLANNERY, ZION-35-farmer-$3,000-KY;
Lucinda-33-VA; Martin-14-MO; James-10-MO;
Rebecca-6-MO; Malvina-3-MO; John-1-MO
495 -GREEN, BEAL- 34-farmer-$3,000-KY;
Correna-28-f-KY (Corrine Ratcliff); Frances-12-f-KY;
Thadeus-10-MO; Joseph-8-MO; Nancy-6-MO; Laura-4-MO;
(Laura m. Joseph W. Mercer); 2 slaves
525 -HOUSE, ELI-45-farmer-$700-VA (Ephraim in 1860 census,
d. Nov 23, 1861); Irene (West)-27-KY (d. Aug 17,1872);
John-10-MO (b. 1-25-1838); K. Lucy-8-MO (m. Wilson);
Winny-6-MO-(Mrs. William McConigle d. 1-31-1869);
Ann-4-MO; James E. 6/12-Mo
In House Cemetery, S 32 T 49 R 32, on farm of John House, families of Jacob and Charles Secrest also
are buried there)
547 -KRITZER, MARTIN, 43-grocer-$6,000-VA (Independence);
Mary-40-England; Theodore-17-KY; Ann-15-KY;
George-13-KY; Peter-11-KY; Martin-9-KY; Lydia-10-KY;
John-7-KY; Henry Clay-5-KY (Jan 5, 1844-June 12, 1932,
m. Elizabeth Davenport , 1845-1915, in 1862);
556 -LANE, FIELDING H(arrison)-38-farmer-$6,000, KY
(Dec. 28, 1812-Aug. 23, 1885);
Elizabeth (Larrison)-35 (Feb 22, 1816-Dec 1900);
Silas-14-KY (Apr 12, 1836-May 28,1859);
William-12-KY (Jan 28,1839-Oct 20, 1923);
Abraham-9-MO (Dec 5,, 1841-Sep 6, 1863);
James-6-MO (Nov 7, 1843-May 1, 1885)
Mary-4-MO (Sep 12, 1846-Oct 24, 1876);
Fielding-1-MO (Oct 11, 1849-Sep 1, 1917)
Family buried in Woodlawn Cemetery, Independence
556 -MUIR, LAVINIA, 40-Ky (widow of John Muir who died of
cholera in 1849)
Sarah-20-KY; George-18-farmer-KY; Daniel-25-farmer-KY;
Hezekiah-17-KY; William-12-MO; Mary-8-M0; also 1 slave
607 -NAV, ABRAM-44-farmer-$800-TN (Sep 30, 1805-
Aug 10,1885); Eliza C.-41-TN; (first wife d. May 24,
1877-67y); Chrisley-19-m-TN (d. Aug 5, 1880-55y);
Henry-14-TN; John-16-TN; Abigail-12-TN
(Could this be ? Stover, Abigail d. Mar 5,1928, 89;
Stover, Charles, d. Oct. 1, 1876, 45, Camp Groound
611 -NAV, JOHN-23-farmer-TN; Sarah-18-MO. Wm. T 1/12 MO
556 -RAGAN, GREENBURY-34-farmer-$700-KY; Jane-34-KY;
Margaret–7-MO; Mary-6-MO; John-4-MO; George-1-MO
572 -RAY (WRAY), ABSOLOM-42-carpenter-$1500- KY;
Melvina-35-KY; Elizabeth-15-KY; Susan M. 13-KY;
James W-9-MO; Anna-8-MO; Sarah E -5-MO; also John
Stone-24-carpenter-KY; Mary Smith-16-Ireland
(Mercer Co, KY- Abelin Ray m. Malvina Chiles,
557 -RAY, WILLIAM-42-blacksmith, $1000-OH;
Alice-38-VA; John -17-OH; Mary-15-OH; Martin-12-OH;
Susan-9-OH; Josephine-6-OH; Francis-3-OH; also
David Prine-20-blacksmith-MO; Elizabeth-20-OH;
Sarah A-13-MO; Barnes-12-m-OH; John A-7-MO
604 -RHOADES, GEORGE W.-36-farmer-$3400-VA (estate 7-2-1850); Mary-37-KY; Susan A.-12-MO (m. Geo.
Cassell, Mar 12, 1857); Richard B(enjamin)=10=MO
(d. before 1866); Lucy M.-8-MO (d. before 1866);
Sarah J(ane)-5-MO (m. Mathew Thomas Tomson,
March 7, 1867); George T-3-MO; Elizabeth-1-MO
713 -RICE, BENJAMIN L(acey)-28-farmer-$300-NC; Jane-23-
VA; (m. April 20, 1848); William -2-MO; 1 slave
713 -RICE, JAMES-52-360-; Nancy (Bruce)-43-NC
RICE, NATHANIEL-22-NC; Mary-23-NC; William-16-NC;
Catharine-4-NC; Littleton-3-MO; George-2/12-MO
713 -RICE, SALLY-56-NC (widow of Archibald) (Feb 29,1795-
Aug 5, 1852); Coffe-26-m-farmer-$10,000-NC; Minerva-
21-MO, also 16 slaves
Minerva m. Andrew J. Stone, Dec 24, 1850
Elihu Coffee m. Catharine Stoner White, Nov. 14, 1850
530 -YOUNGER, HARRY (Henry Washington)-38-farmer-$9000-MO;
Beesha-33-f-MO; Helen-18-MO; Isabella-14-MO; Martha-
14-MO; Richard-12-MO; Josephine-10-MO; Caroline-8-MO; Coleman-8-MO (Cole Jan 15, 1844-1861); Sarah A-4-MO; James-2-MO
-SMITH, DR. MINOR T., “In the spring (he) returned from Kentucky with his father, Willis; mother, Elizabeth; brother, Knox Taylor; sister, Lucy (Hinde), later to buy
farm from Thad Greene
INDEX OF LAND OWNERS
Barry, Louise, The Beginning of the West, Annals of the Kansas Gateway to the American Westm 1540-1854, (Topeka, Kansas: Kansas State Historical Society, 1972), p. 674, from newspaper accounts from St. Louis, Liberty and Saline County.