History of present day area of land known as” Barnes Enclosure”. The area was 67th on the North, James a. Reed on the West, 79th St. on the South and Raytown Road on the East.
The area and original Indian trails were referred to as the O’Osage Trace’ because it was the land of the Osage Indians. The area of springs was also
used by the Sal, Kansa and Fox tribes as their campground.
In 1821 Missouri became a State. Mexico opened trade with the Western world, especially the Santa Fe area. In 1821 Capt. Bucknell
traveled the trail and opened a trading route to Santa Fe.
Sibley surveyed the trail and the Osage tribe signed a treaty with the United States to allow travelers to pass through the area unharmed.
The Osage tribe was moved to the Kansas territory and later to the Oklahoma territory to what is now Osage County, Ok.
The current campgrounds was a heavily traveled junction on the Santa Fe, Oregon and California trails. Through these years over $90 million
in goods and silver were traded on the Santa Fe Trail.
Archibald Rice moved from his farm in Eastern Jackson County, Mo. to the area of 66th & Blue Ridge. He started building his house and would
later purchase the property through a pre-emption claim. The Rice-Tremonti house and a replica of Aunt Sophie’s cabin remains on the site.
Farmer Rice sold agricultural and food products to travelers and campers who used his land.
Jesse Barnes purchased the land South of the Rice land, this is the land mentioned above about the history of area. The Barnes house was located
east of Blue Ridge on 73rd Street in an area now called Gregory Heights. This land also had a large spring flowing from a cave, later to be known
as Cave Spring.
The Oregon Trail was opened following much the same path as the Santa Fe Trail. People filled their covered wagons and traveled for 6 months over
2000 miles to live in Oregon. The trail was also known as a immigrant trail.
The California Trail was open.
Two firsthand accounts mention the Barnes Enclosure. Susan Magoffin’s diary tells of traveling with her husband Samuel, a Santa Fe trader they spent
a night and breakfast at the Barnes house. The Glasgow brothers also Santa FE traders wrote their sister about camping at the Enclosure. Susan mentioned
in her diary about meeting the brothers on the trail.
Gold was discovered in Califorina at Sutter’s Mill and the gold rush began.
Solomon Young, Grandfather of Harry Truman owned this property were the spring was located. Later, he moved to the Grandview home. President Truman
speaks of his grandfather in this excerpt from “Plain Speaking”. Grandfather Young kept buying land whenever he could get his hands on it and at one
time he owned over 1000 acres in SW Jackson County…. he ran wagon trains here, Westport and Independence to the West Coast.
The Daughters of the American Revolution travel the Santa Fe Trail and lay granite markers from Franklin, Mo. To Santa Fe NM marking the trail.
The Cave Spring marker is located at 72rd & Blue Ridge. The marker was set on a base reading “Cave Spring” and was placed due to its location on the Santa Fe Trail.
The land at this time was owned by the Ridge family and had two lakes and existing dams constructed. Eleven stone piers were built West of the cave to support a Masonic Lodge which was never built. The Mason’s also built a 9 hole golf course and stocked the big lake for fishing, swimming and boating and 8 cabins on the South side of the big lake, the chimney’s of the cabins are still standing, the cabins were all burnt down. The Ridge family home was converted to a club house they held Raytown High School proms there in 1938 & 1939, many big dinners and club events.